Spiders scare a lot of people. Often they are suddenly spotted climbing up a wall or across the floor in your home. While many homeowners would be perfectly happy to never see a spider again in their home, there is actually good reason to have spiders in the home. I am not talking about a spider infestation, that’s not good for any homeowner. Rather, I am referring to the few spiders a year that you see in your home or the few more during spring time when may spiders like to enter into warm homes. The reason why spiders are helpful is because they eat other bugs! Flies, beetles, small roaches, centipedes and more… spiders eat them and keep them from scaring you.
There are ways to prevent spider infestation or to prevent spiders form laying eggs in your home which would possibly create an infestation. Here are 5 tips to prevent spider infestation:
1. Get the Clutter Away! Believe it or not, spiders are attracted to piles- piles of papers, piles of clothes, piles of shoes and more. If you do your best to keep clutter to a minimum then you could help reduce the amount of spiders around your house or at least the amount of spiders that you see. The last thing you want to do is step into a shoe with a spider in it. So keep your closets organized too and it will help.
2. Dust those webs away- Keeping your ceiling and corners of the ceiling 9and floors) dust and spider web free will eliminate webs, thus eliminating spiders from living in your home and harvesting spider eggs. Invest a few dollars into a good duster- one with an extendable arm so that you can get to those hard to reach places.
3. Repair windows and screens and seal cracks and holes around the house on the inside and on the exterior- it will help keep spiders out.
4. Remove cardboard boxes- Spiders love living in and around cardboard boxes. it’s best to get rid of these and replace them with dryable plastic totes, carts or containers. These carts can last a lifetime and won’t attract as many spiders- if any at all.
5. Have your house sprayed by a professional exterminator once a year. This once (or in some areas twice) a year treatment will help with some of the common household pests such as spiders, centipedes and silverfish.
Follow some of these tips and it could help reduce the amount of spiders you see in your home!